This project has a history on a couple of different levels. My parents owned a farm when we were young, and as soon as I saw this artwork, I thought of my Dad, then I have recently found out that my brother and his partner are expecting. My brother has always loved the farm life, and I am hoping that his little boy or girl (and you) will love this bright and colourful quilt.
Finished size of quilt – 42 x 50”
All seam allowances are ¼”
White Homespun – 75cm
Orange Fabric – 25cm or fat quarter
Purple Fabric – 25cm or fat quarter
Green Fabric – 25cm or fat quarter
Blue Fabric – 25cm or fat quarter
Border Fabric – 75cm or 3 different fat quarters, or scraps of leftover bright fabrics.
Binding Fabric – 30cm
Backing fabric – 1.2m
½m high loft batting for trapunto
Pellum – 1.2m
Tear away Stabiliser
Bright Coloured Embroidery Thread
White/Beige Sewing Thread
Grandads Farm Designs from Julie Hall Designs
Free Grandads Farm wording designs by Julie Hall Designs
|White Homespun||Cut 3 strips 38 x 9½”|
|Orange Bright Print||Cut 1 strip each 38 x 6½”|
|Purple Bright Print|
|Green Bright Print|
|Blue Bright Print|
|Borders||Cut 5 3½“ strips, or join together lots of scraps of fabric to form 3½“ strips to go around the edge of your quilt.|
|Binding||Cut 3 strips 2.5” wide|
- Watch the included trapunto tutorial to understand how this technique works.
- Using the templates provided, lay out the templates on the white homespun, and mark out their placement.
- Hoop a piece of stabiliser taunt, and lay over the high loft wadding lay a piece of TearClean stabiliser on top of the high loft wadding, and hold it in place whilst you stitch down the first outline.
- Stitch out the first line of the design, outlining where the wadding will stay.
- Remove the hoop from the machine and cut away all the excess wadding.
- Take the homespun and pin into place where the embroidery will sit.
- Stitch out the remaining colours of the design to give the detail.
- Remove the hoop from the machine once complete, and remove the excess stabiliser.
- Repeat steps 2-8 for all the trapunto designs.
- Press and trim each of the white homespun pieces to 36½ x 8½”
- Using the templates provided, and the bright coloured printed fabrics, embroider the wording onto the fabric using a contrast coloured thread.
- Press and trim each of the pieces to 36½ x 5½”
Putting the quilt together
- Take all of the cut elements for the quilt and lay out ready to stitch together.
- Using the image below, stitch the bright coloured wording sections to the white homespun, using a ¼” seam.
- Add the borders by stitching firstly to the sides, and then to the top and bottom.
- You are now ready to back and quilt your creation as you wish. I used a free motion quilting technique to highlight the puffiness of the designs.